Open Source Photo Gallery
Note: OpenFoto is now available at Sourceforge:
What is OpenFoto?
The system is straight-forward to install locally or on a servers - no root access, extra extensions or server configuration should be required.
A simple template driven layout and multi-user functionality allows for a wide range of uses from a single installation.
Images can be uploaded full size via FTP ( or using KFM File Manager if you install a database ) and are compressed and resized automatically on the fly - folders can be organised using drag 'n' drop.
OpenFoto 0.1 is an early beta release, for a demo visit openfoto.quintalinda.com - the code is designed to be low maintenance and should only require a basic understanding to use or modify.
OpenFoto has now been added to Sourceforge as a project, so the source code and projects updates can now be found at:
If you are interested to contribute ideas or code please get in contact.
The instructions included with OpenFoto are not very clear, so here's a quick explanation of what needs to be done to install the system.
the instructions state:
there are a few things to configure, however, the most basic setup should involve changing the string 'loveunit_com' in the function call:
$root = GM_root ( 'loveunit_com' ); // run function ##
to the name of your root folder - make this the same locally and live, and avoid periods or spaces in directory name.
Now.. basically what that means is that the name of the root folder for OpenFoto, which contains all the code and your images should be called something like "gallery" - without spaces or full stops.. and in the file index.php which goes in the folder user/00001/ you should change the string to the same name, exactly..
You should also edit the file code/code.index.php to be the same as the file user/00001/index.php - once you've got the system working..
in code/code.php you will need to change the url_skin & url_user to valid folders or sub-directories urls
Change these so they reference your site, either by using sub directories or full file paths.
Now, there is also one other small issue, which might affect if things work or not.. and that's found in the file code/code.php:
$code["root_loops"] = '5';
This is the number of folder down from the root of the server to the root folder of OpenFoto - I guess I could have avoided this, but at the time I did not know about CWD or other functions like that in PHP.. you might need to count and adjust this number accordingly.
There are a few planned developments - each will be added to the downloadable source, once complete.
- directory ordering - by building arrays of files & folders, this will allow directories to be placed before files - and perhaps offer view ordering options.
- paypal download shopping system - click to add to paypal cart - purchase one or many, emailed full-res download link, would need to reorganise file system a little.
- image exif data display - should be simple enough, but requires a specific php set-up, so more generic route required.
- rss feeds - all folders and images per gallery - something for the search engines and feedburners to eat.
- search facility - plan to develop a file & folder based search engine, might need to add tags to files or associated tiles.
- expansion of template customisation via template/xxxxx/settings.php & user/xxxxx/settings.php - to allow extra control over gallery look and feel.
- 12/06/2008 - fixed sub directory logic & introduced info.php to allow for directory customisation.